Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Dp Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? A reading response.

After reading the first 11 chapters of "Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep", I have a few things to say about it.

Firstly, I have not seen the adapted film "Blade Runner" in over 4 years. I remember very little about it except for the general appearance of characters and the tone of the setting.

One thing I particularly got from this reading is the sense of "dog eat dog". This society is eat or be eaten, kill or be killed. The classes of society seem to be very highly regarded or very lowly regarded, with little in between.

Along with the middle class being non-existent, the race to own objects (in this case real animals) is full-throttle. The main character, and presumably the whole of society is totally invested their lives in working upwards, ever ascending to a "better" state of social existence. this is done by social acheivements, personal ownership of items, and by occupation.

I don't think I would like living in this world because it is highly competitive and easy to fall into a life of depression and the feeling of inadequacy.

I look forward to finishing the book, and giving a greater in-depth response about the differences between being human/ being non human, and the topic of ethics.

No comments:

Post a Comment