Monday, February 18, 2013

The Simulacra - Conclusion

In a bit of irony, I feel like Ive gotten a bit ahead of myself. When we were reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, I was convinced and in awe by my new realization that humans could be on the decline, evolutionarily. I am currently taking a Zoology class and through learning about the progression of life forms (from oceanic, to animals possessing throats, tissues and organs, to predators), I wonder what has made humans so prolific. I still haven't come to my own conclusion. However I do believe that most people don't give this a grain of thought. It seems- to be honest- a concept out of a science fiction novel.

I suppose, I just mean to say, that I feel unfathomably elated at the fact that I am not the only (or first) person to have thought and realized this. Clearly, after reading The Simulacra, Philip K. Dick had thoughts of the same breed. It is refreshing to say the least.

The finish of The Simulacra was sadly not what I was expecting. I feel the book could've been more succinctly written as a short story. What was the overall significance of Duncan and Miller's storyline? They end up emigrating. I honestly cant see anything that would be lost by cutting it out entirely.

 Secondly, I really feel that PKD dropped the ball by not giving character descriptions. Other than the terribly single minded, slightly sexist "high round breasts" and the "she was smaller up close" type descriptions. Notice those are both females. There are a grand total of 6 females in this novel. Countless males. So please, for my brain's sake, I hope the next novel has at least more character descriptions.

Other than those major overlooked flaws, I enjoyed this novel- but only moderately. The point of "EVOLUTION IS AWESOME" was better brought home by The Preserving Machine.

I am immensely looking forward to absorbing more PKD novels.

2 comments:

  1. I was disappointed in this read as well. For the same reason. I did not connect with the characters. (You said it much better than I, however!) I mentioned in my post that Nat was the only character that seemed somewhat believable to me, and I need a certain degree of reality to pull me in to a story (sci-fi or otherwise). I was disappointed that his story line was not enhanced further. Aside from the chuppers being introduced in his story line, I did not see a purpose for it at all. It was not all brought together in the end like I had expected.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also wish PKD would offer more description for his characters; it would help us remember/follow and perhaps relate to them better. The ending was very disappointing! I felt no closure and was left very confused!

    ReplyDelete